EGH SLIDESHOW

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Elder Perry's Sense of Humor

Its been a really good week! We were able to set another baptismal date with one of our investigators, and we're super excited about that. We're hoping he will get baptized this month, but it might happen later on. We'll see I suppose. The other amazing thing that happened, this morning actually, was that our mission had a conference with Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. It was such an amazing experience. Every one of us got shake his hand and talk to him briefly. When I shook his hand he asked me where I was from. I of course, said Layton Utah, and he said "Layton! You are very lucky to be from Layton!" Anyway, that was my personal experience with him. He gave an amazing talk about the priesthood being restored to the earth. He's actually a really funny guy too. He had us all rolling a few times.

Here are some of my favorite lines from the meeting:"(To the Elder standing before me in line to shake Elder Perry's hand) Elder where are you from?" "El Paso" "Oh, that's too bad."

"As of right now, I am the head of the public relations department of the church. What a miserable job. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone."

"If Mitt Romney becomes president of the United States, the first thing I am going to do is go and resign from being head of public relations. Mainly because the entire world is going to blame every bad thing that happens to our country on the church, and I'll never sleep again."

"When I was in the MTC, all they taught us was etiquette, that you put the fork and the knife on one side of the plate and you put... Oh, wait. I guess I didn't learn anything."

"I was in the marine corps for three years after my mission. I had way more baptisms in the marines than I did on my mission."

"Every night while I'm lying in bed, I always go through the articles of faith in my head to make sure I have them memorized. On the even days of the month I start from the beginning and go the last one, and on the odd days I go backwards. The reason I reverse it is because I fall asleep too fast. If I didn't, today I would know only about six of them."

Those were some of the funnier things that he said. But I don't you all to think he was just doing stand up comedy or something. Here are some of the more spiritual things he said that I liked:

"This is not a man made church. God Himself built it, and restored it upon the earth.""The world is currently exploding with questions about the gospel of Jesus Christ. In the last year, our church has been mentioned in the paper and the news more than in all the years of church history, back to 1830, combined."

"Rising in seniority through the quorum of the twelve is a training period. God watches us, and sees us grow. He chooses who is the best person to be the president of the church for the time period when the previous president is called home."

"God lives. Jesus Christ Himself is at the head of this church. It is He who directs us when we are in His service."

The meeting was such an amazing experience. One I will never forget. I received a strong impression during the meeting that Elder Perry and the rest of the Apostles are truly called of God, and they are all exactly who we claim they are, namely, prophets, seers, and revelators. I hope all of you are having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment