[Garrett's mother here...A week ago I was asked to speak at Jordan Jasmer's missionary farewell. I wrote to Garrett and asked him four questions. 1-What advice he would give to Jordan as he leaves for the MTC, 2-What he believes is the most important aspect of missionary work, 3-Would he share a missionary experience that was memorable for him, and 4-How he's feeling as he now approaches the end of his mission. Here are his responses. I was able to read them in Sacrament meeting so that Jordan--and the ward--could hear his words.]
1. My biggest advice to Jordan would be don't be afraid to be yourself! Unfortunately, some missionaries fall into the trap of thinking that they have to completely leave their personalities at home and act like a robot in order to be a good missionary. I'll never forget something my trainer said to me: "God called YOU, not a robot, so don't be afraid to BE YOURSELF." One of the most amazing things about the mission you've been called to is that its the mission that God wants YOU in. He want your personality, your experiences, your talents, YOU. There will be people that God has prepared for you to meet on your mission that only you will be able to touch, but if you're hiding your personality you might miss them. That is something I wish I had known at the start of my mission (sorry if that was too long, I get carried away. You can cut some parts of that out if you want to).
2. The most important aspect of missionary work to me is having the spirit with you as much as you can. In Preach My Gospel, Ezra Taft Benson says: "The spirit is the most important single element in this work. With the spirit magnifying your call, you can do miracles for the Lord in the mission field. Without the spirit, you will never succeed, regardless of your talent or ability." I have learned, many times, that that is true. No matter how good of a teacher you become, without the spirit, teaching is SO difficult. The words don't come out right, the investigators don't understand as well, and honestly no one will ever become truly converted without the spirit testifying to them of the truth. Live worthily of the spirit's companionship, and follow His promptings. Do that, and you will have all the success and all the experiences the Lord wants you to have.
3. There was one experience I had near the beginning of my mission I will never forget. We were teaching this family for months and months, and the father (Who was an inactive member) was never willing to pray. He told us he was afraid to. All of the rest of the family wanted to go to church and become baptized, but the father kept dragging his feet and holding the rest of them back. Every lesson, we would try to teach about prayer and the importance of him praying to know the gospel was true. For months and months, he never would. Then, one night, he finally said he would be willing to pray. We all bowed our heads and waited for him to start. It seemed like we were waiting for quite a while in silence, I opened my eyes for just an instant, and saw that he was crying. He then started to pray, and it was one of the most powerful prayers I've ever heard in my life. He was truly talking to God. It was very simple, but so sincere. There wasn't a dry eye in the room when he finished. I left that appointment so grateful to be on a mission, and for a God who cares about all of us so much.
4. As I approach the end of my mission, I've never had such mixed emotions ever in my life. I'm SO excited to see my family and everyone from home, but my mission has been by far the most incredible, enlightening, life changing experience of my life. I don't want it to end. I wish I could wear Christ's name over my heart for the rest of my life. Before my mission, I always imagined that my going on a mission would be a way I could pay God back a little for all that He has done for me. Now I realize, I'm even more in debt to him than I ever was before. I know now, more than I ever have before in my life, that there is a God in heaven. He is real. He is alive, and He cares for all of His children more than anything. I know this because I have been helping Him care for His children to the best of my ability for the duration of two years. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World, and that one day soon He will return to rule and reign over the earth. I know that there is a plan for us, and missionary work is a part of that plan. Chirst's Atonement has the power to save EVERYONE, and because of Him, we can be bound together as eternal families with Him in happiness forever. It has been one of the greatest joys of my life to be in His service, and I only hope I can continue to serve Him forever. Jordan, you're in for the greatest experience of your life, and I couldn't be more excited for you. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment